Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pickled Garlic

c2008 Shanna Ohmes

Today I ventured into making pickled garlic using the lacto-fermentation process. It was so easy! The last time I peeled that much garlic the garlic oil burned the skin on my fingers. This time I learned about heating the garlic in the oven first before peeling. The cloves practically slipped out of their skins and the oil didn't burn my skin this time.

I started with 12 heads of garlic. I put them on a cookie sheet and in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes or so. I peeled the skins off and put them in a canning jar. Then I made the brine: 2 tsp. oregano, 2 tsp. sea salt, and 2 tbs. whey. I poured the brine over the garlic, added water to within 1 inch of the top to make room for expansion. This will set on the cabinet for about 3 days to get the fermentation process started. Then I can put it in cold storage (refrigerator) and use.

It should be done by this weekend and I will post my results on here. I can't wait to try it. Especially with the cold and flu season here. Garlic has so many properties to help with infections.

No comments: