Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Grub" ideas for an urban organic kitchen

I have been reading a book called "Grub" by Anna Lappe`.  The author calls grub "organic and sustainably raised whole and locally grown foods, produced with fairness from seed to table, and is good for our bodies, our communities, and our environment."  I am about half way through the book and am amazed at the research she did.  She talks about how the chemical companies are indifferent to and twist research that shows how the pesticides and other chemicals affect our health.

One interesting chapter is on the organic brands and what companies actually own them.  For instance, Kashi, Morningstar Farms and Natural Touch are owned by Kellogg.  Celestial Seasonings, Arrowhead Mills, and Garden of Eatin' are owned by Heinz.  And the list goes on.  It makes me wonder when I buy organic, who am I really supporting?

She talks about trends in food.  One is the variety--or I should say lack of variety of fruits and vegetables that we actually consume.  In 2000, only 3 veggies were half of the servings in our nation's diet--iceberg lettuce, potatoes as frozen, fresh and potato chips, and canned tomatoes.  I watch what people put in their shopping carts at the store and I would believe that statistic.  I was one of those statistics at one time.

And then I came across this quote that I put on my newsletter blog:  "Every time you spend money on food, you are voting for the world you want."  That was by John Kinsman, an organic dairy farmer and the founder of Family Farm Defenders.

I am enjoying the book and looking forward to the recipe section and trying them out.

No comments: