Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vote for White House Farmer

Back when I homeschooled the kids we did a unit study on government and presidents. One day the kids asked me if I met the President what would I want to say. I told them I thought the President should encourage everyone to be more self-sufficient and grow their own food, even if it is a small bit in a container garden on a porch.

Well, today I came across this grassroots idea in a link through the Wilderness Awareness School where I took my first nature correspondence course.

http://whitehousefarmer.com/

It is Vote for the White House Farmer. There are more than 100 nominees. I have not had a chance to look through them all, but I recognize a few whose books I've read. It's going to be a hard choice to pick one.

Basically the idea is to replace all the lawns with edible landscaping/gardens that would feed the White House and also food banks. I think it is a great idea and would show an example for people to get back to providing at least a little bit for themselves. Fresh homegrown food always tastes better!

Take a look at the site and if you have any comments send them my way. I would love to hear what you think. Oh, and voting ends Jan 31. Only a few days left.

Happy healthy eating....

No comments: