Friday, November 7, 2008

Update on Garlic

I have been experimenting with other fermented vegies this week and so far everthing has been successful! The pickled garlic is pungent and firm but does not burn like raw garlic. I ate it sliced on top of lasagna and it intensified the flavors of the the tomato sauce, mushrooms and meat. At another meal, I stir fried the garlic with a bit of turkey and put it all in a tortilla wrap with guacamole and sour cream. Again, it brought more of the flavors out and was delicious.

These are the other vegies I fermented: cucumbers, beets, turnips, gingered carrots, and more sauerkraut. This batch of sauerkraut I added an apple, a little grated carrot, 2 cloves of garlic, and a few slices of onion. It will be spicier than plain sauerkraut.

I can recommend another book on fermenting foods: "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz. I got some great ideas on experimenting with vegetable combinations. Will be a great way to use excess garden produce next year.

No comments: